Saturday, May 2, 2009

Recent sightings - 02 May 2009

With work keeping me out of the field I have to make most of the few moments I have to participate in this year's migration. That said, here are a few of my recent sightings:

02 May 2009 - White-throated Sparrow in the yard here in Wyandotte. Found this little guy this morning kicking around about 7:30 am before the rest of the birds showed up.

01 May 2009 - After a 16-hour work day on Wednesday I decided to make a quick run to UM-Dearborn before work. A walk through the the Rose Garden and Lakeside Trail yielded the following birds: American Redstart, Palm, Nashville and Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Green Heron, Swamp Sparrow, Black-throated Green Warbler, Wood Thrush, and Eastern Phoebe. I did not hear or see the Prothonotary Warbler that's been reported the last few days. I managed a photo of a cooperative Swainson's Thrush next to the gate at the S. end of the lake.

30 Apr 2009 - Having to work late tonight I came home for a quick dinner w/ Robin. Just as we were sitting down to eat I noticed a black bird w/ white spots at one of the thistle feeders. A Rose-breasted Grosbeak! New yard bird! I grabbed the camera and got a few pics through the window before it flew to the other tree next to the deck, where 2 more birds were feeding on the suet cake. Three RBGB's in the yard! Woo-hoo!

28 Apr 2009 - After spending the last five days in Orlando, FL at Disney's Animal Kingdom (future post) I was itching to get out and experience the warbler migration, which started around the 24th. So, after work I took a quick run up to UM-Dearborn for an evening walk and found the following birds along Lakeside Trail and Rose Garden: Great-crested Flycatcher, Pine Siskins (2), Black-throated Green Warbler, Yellow-rumps, Palm Warblers, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Hermit Thrush (3), Red-shouldered Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Nashville Warbler, Black-and-White Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows.

Earlier in the day I had (4) Pine Siskins still at the feeder here in Wyandotte! I did not see my plump female, though, which was last seen on the 22nd just before we left for the airport.

No comments:

Blog Archive