Tuesday, May 17, 2011

North Carolina Birding - 15 May 2011

Robin and I are in Boone, NC for a week of watercolor painting (her) and birding (me).  We're renting a cabin just down the road from Cheap Joe's Art Stuff. The location is wonderful - a mountainside retreat surrounded by trees and birds! 

We arrived Saturday afternoon to the calls of House Wrens, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Rufous-sided Towhees, and Chestnut-sided Warblers.  As I walked around the property I flushed a pair of House Wrens from one of the half-dozen bird houses.  Overhead a pair of Cedar Waxwings were squeeling and courting.  Skies were clear, but winds were blowing 15- 25 mph, so it was a bit cool.  But we were happy to be here, and just sit on the porch and enjoy the scenery.

We met Lynda and Joe Miller, owners of the property and hosts for Robin's watercolor workshop, featuring noted artist Pat Dews.  Joe found out that I was a birder, and asked if I had ever heard of the book "Kingbird Highway".  I replied, "by Kenn Kaufman. Yes!".  I hadn't read it, yet, so he ran home and brought me his copy.  So, as it is raining here (all week), I'm enjoying Kenn's Big Year adventure of 1973.  Thanks, Joe!

1 comment:

Blog Archive