Friday, March 9, 2012

Sedona, AZ - Day 2 - 01 Mar 2012

I woke at 6 am to the sound of a Ladder-backed Woodpecker whinnying outside the cabin. It was too dark to see it, however.  Still, a nice way to start the day! After a muffin breakfast in the Arrivals Building, we walked along the creek and enjoyed the Mallard, Mandarin, Gadwall, Wood Ducks and American Wigeon.  At the steps leading back to our cabin I spotted an Audubon's Warbler, complete w/ yellow throat.  A small flock of Lesser Goldfinch also moved through the flowering cherry trees. House Finches were singing, and American Robins were moving through the area at a steady pace.

I spotted a Red-shafted Flicker atop a large cottonwood, but it was severely backlit by the morning sun. As I set up the scope to watch it a Cooper's Hawk flew in and replaced it on the limb.  I grabbed the scope and ran around to the edge of the property, but couldn't get a clear enough view through the trees. The hawk squawked for several seconds, then took off across the creek.

I then spent the morning testing the new Nikon V1 as a digiscoping camera, specifically to compare magnifications with my trusty old Nikon Coolpix P6000.  I've posted a review of this work on my digiscoping blog.

We took a ride into Sedona and had lunch at the village of Tlaquepaque.  A walk around the village gave us a glimpse of numerous craft, jewelry and art shops, and some beautiful sculptures.





After lunch we returned to the resort.  While Robin napped I decided to grab the scope and hike upstream along the shore of Oak Creek.




A small raft of ducks were swimming in the afternoon sun.  Among them were a preening American Wigeon, his mate, and a sleeping drake Gadwall.  I spent some time digiscoping the wigeon while waiting for the gadwall to awaken. 


When the Gadwall woke up, I managed to get a couple of stunning images from just 30' away. Did I say I love this new digiscoping camera!
Upstream the trail got more rocky, and more challenging to hike, but the view of the canyon was worth it.  I rounded a corner where a large pool held the promise of some wonderful trout fishing.  Up on the canyon wall I spotted a climber, but was unable to photograph him/her from my location.  A Ladder-backed Woodpecker was calling from the field behind me.  Before heading back I took a vertical panorama of my surroundings.  Beautiful!

1 comment:

Nate said...

Excellent Waterfowl Shots Jerry! Isn't it a refreshing change to have cooperative waterfowl vs. the overhunted flighty waterfowl we encounter here. Anyway I really love the Gadwall shot such a great pose and rare capture! The mandarin pair is awesome too! Well done!

Blog Archive