Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sarnia Long-tailed Ducks - 03 Nov 2012

I took a drive to Pt. Edward in Sarnia, Ontario this morning to look for ducks at the mouth of the St. Clair River.  Winds were blowing hard off-shore, and a heavy cloud bank was obscuring the rising sun.

Long-tailed Ducks were visible from shore by the hundreds, while farther out Surf Scoters and White-winged Scoters were visible only through a scope. The Long-tails could be found in all sorts of non-breeding plumage, with several transitions observed among the small groups of ducks.


I spent about 2 hours along the waterfront trying to digiscope the Long-tails as the river sucked them in from off the lake.  Frigid temps and choppy waters made digiscoping a huge challenge, as I fought trying to keep the bobbing ducks in the scope while trying to activate the shutter w/ frozen fingers.  Of the 400 captures I had maybe a half-dozen keepers.  Real disappointing.  Still, it was a beautful morning to be out.

As I drove home along I-94 I pulled over a couple of times to try to capture Red-tail Hawks roosting alongside the expressway.  The late morning sun provided perfect lighting for a few nice captures.


4 comments:

Kevin said...

You win?? Really

Kevin said...

You Win?? Thanks alot

dAwN said...

The Long-tailed ducks sure are beauties.
Great captures, though, I guess it was hard with the waves..at least you got a few keepers.

So whats with the two comments You Win? Really ???

Bob Hilscher said...

Hi there. Great pictures of the hawk, and the ducks, amazing tails on the ducks. I live in Toronto, Canada and recently, my wife, Jean, and I came upon an adult Red-tailed Hawk in Markham, Ontario. We have read that stalking a hawk is no easy task,that you have to sneak up on them when they are looking the other way. Well, this Hawk was only looking one way when it landed, and that was right at us! Fortunately, we had our camera with us and got some good pictures and video. We have posted them for anyone interested at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-red-tailed-hawk-sighting-markham-ontario

Blog Archive