Thursday, January 9, 2014

Low ISO Birding - 09 Jan 2014

Today I've decided to try photographing some Detroit River waterfowl using the D7100 at ISO 100. Skies were mainly clear so there was plenty of light to get fast shutter speeds.  I stopped at John Dingell Park at the foot of Southfield Rd. on the border of Wyandotte and Ecorse.  Ice has the river choked from Wyandotte north to Mud Island, where only a small patch of open water is available for hundreds of Canvasback, Redhead, Mallard, Common Merganser, Common Goldeneye, and Mute Swans.

I managed a few photos of the Canvasback and Common Mergansers on the water, but had to settle for fly-by photos of Redhead, Canvasback, and Ring-billed Gulls.



Flight shots were fun.  I was surprised to see so many birds flying so close to shore. As I faced up river I was able to catch many of the birds flying directly toward me, so it was a matter of waiting for the autofocus to lock on before firing.


I only had 30 minutes during lunch, so after work I headed back to the river.  Skies were now overcast and the sun was going down, but I had the time.  This time the Canvasback and Redhead were flying by close to shore (mostly from the south, so I tended to be shooting at backlit birds).  A passing Red-tailed Hawk was a nice surprise, as well as the numerous (10) Bald Eagles roosting in the trees of Mud Island.








I did find that at ISO 100 the camera tended to underexpose severely for most shots, so I'll be going back to ISO 400 as my standard.  Noise properties are still great on the D7100 and the shutters speeds are reliable for the 300/2.8 VRII and 1.4TCII.

1 comment:

david boon said...

Love those Flight shots Jerry!

Blog Archive