Saturday, February 8, 2014

More Snow - 05 Feb 2013

Another 8" of snow fell today in SE Michigan and caused much angst among drivers in this area. Although it snowed most of the day, the weather actually cleared in the early afternoon, which prompted me to check out the Detroit River at John Dingell Park.  A small flock of White-winged Scoters were reported there yesterday and I was anxious to see if they were still there.  Driving was treacherous, as Biddle Avenue was  unplowed and heavy with snow and slush.  But I headed that way and parked near pagoda at the foot of Southfield Rd.

Only a small amount of open water was available as the ice flows had choked most of the river in front of Mud Island.  The only cooperative subject in the area was a Horned Grebe swimming near shore.  I waited for it to dive then ran through the snow to get downstream (and the sun to my back) and waited for it to resurface.  I was able to get some nice pics as it swam and ignored my presence. Its nice to get close enough to see the black pin-dot eyeball of these birds.






Just before leaving a pair of Bald Eagles on the ice started squabbling, while a second pair of juvenile birds tussled in the sky over Mud Island.


No comments:

Blog Archive