Monday, June 22, 2015

Dickcissel! - 21 Jun 2015

I took a late afternoon run down to Pt. Mouillee SGA. It was already 6 pm so I decided to swing by the Antennae Farm first to see if any Dickcissels are in the area this year.  About half way along the fence a bright yellow bird popped onto the fence and I knew immediately that I had found my quarry.
I was able to get out w/ the scope and grab a few long-distance photos before it flew off. Bobolink were still courting in the area, as well as dozens of Savannah Sparrows.

I noticed that this bird was not singing, but I heard the distinctive "dik-dik-SEER-SEER!" in the distance, so I knew that there were at least 2 birds in the area.


Pt. Mouillee itself was relatively uneventful. I did see three Plegadis ibis in the Vermet Unit, but they took off as soon as I started hiking through the grass toward them.  Two appear to be White-faced and one Glossy Ibis.

Just as well, I was COVERED in Hexagenia sp. mayflies that had just hatched in the last 24 hrs. They were everywhere, and all over me. I would spend the next half-hour just trying to shake them loose from my clothing and scope w/o squishing any of them. Luckily the winds were blowing out at Cell 3 so I could send them into the air and away from me safely.

No shorebirds in Cell 3, which was flooded. Dozens of Ring-billed Gulls, Caspian Terns, and Common Terns were roosting near the peninsula, but it was under water. I would see a pair of American White Pelicans in Cell 5 on the way out.

No comments:

Blog Archive