Thursday, July 2, 2015

Some Fun w/ the Nikon 1 V3 - 28-30 Jun 2015

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
The Nikon 1 V3 with the FT1 Adapter is a great little camera, especially when coupled to a Nikon 300 mm f/2.8 VRII and TC17III Teleconverter. This combination provides an effective focal length of 1370 mm. And the results are most impressive!  Resolution is sharp, and color balance is wonderful.

Baltimore Oriole


I spent some time shooting the yard birds from inside the house with the window open and the rig attached to to a Manfrotto Tripod. Best results occur when you use manual-assisted autofocus. That is, manually focus the lens until the subject is almost in focus, then use the camera to lock autofocus. At 10-20 fps its easy to get sharp images. On a Jobu Jr. tripod head the camera swivels easily in all directions for following birds moving through the yard.

Northern Cardinal




Mourning Dove


fledgling House Sparrow


Common Grackle


House Finch


Chipmunk





2 comments:

Cathy Carroll said...

I admire these photos so much. I feel that we can almost feel the fur of that little rabbit. I am also surprised by the size of the feet of the house sparrow, but I think my favorite is the second to last grosbeak photo.

Jan Gyure said...

I live in Farmington Hills, Michigan. I've been trying to learn the name of a bird that sings a song that sounds like burrito burrito burrito and sometimes it comes in fours - most time in sets of three. Can you email me the name if you know? I bought a MI bird book with CD, but was not helpful. Thanks, Jan. Email is jangyure@yahoo.com

Blog Archive