Saturday, May 14, 2016

Burrowing Owls! - 04 May 2016

Happy Star Wars Day! I was originally going to drive to Corkscrew Swamp, but with storms predicted for all day here in Miami, I decided to stay a bit closer. So, I made a short trip to Brian Piccolo County Park to look for Burrowing Owls, then another 50 minute drive to Wakodahatchee Wetlands to look for waterbirds. Good call…

I left the Holiday Inn at 6 am and drove north of Miami to Cooper City, Fl and Brian Piccolo Park. Skies began to clear, and just as I pulled into the park the morning sun popped out. I drove around to the first ball diamond and found a roped-off patch of ground next to the parking lot. There, a pair of Burrowing Owls were enjoying the first rays of the day. The bird on the left appears to be a juvenile as it is daker and more heavily-mottled. I think I took more pics of the adult bird as it was more in the sun and less obstructed.




 


The birds paid me no mind. In fact, an old gentleman biked right past them and did not even spook them. So I moved a bit closer and digiscoped them from about 40’ away. Gorgeous!





I then drove around as I was hearing Monk Parakeets screeching in the trees next to the parking lot. I found a pair of birds on the ground, and another group of about 8 birds as I was leaving the park. I would count 4 more groups of Burrowing Owls just in the main parking area alone. All were hosting at least 2 birds and all were enjoying the early morning sun and humidity.


1 comment:

Cathy Carroll said...

Nice! I can imagine how much fun you were having.

Blog Archive