Sunday, April 16, 2017

Birding Colorado - 09 Apr 2017


Robin and I are heading to Denver for a week’s visit. She’ll be in a Futuring Workshop at the Da Vinci Institute, and I’ll be chasing birds. Our trip did not start out on the best queue, though. The recent storms in Atlanta messed up Delta Airline’s scheduling, and our flight Sunday morning was cancelled. We would fly out Sunday afternoon, which is not horrible. Other folks had it worse. But we saw Dea Armstrong, and chatted with her throughout the flight; she would be doing a 10-day “Chicken Tour” - looking for all of the grouse/prairie chicken species in Colorado and surrounding states.

My destinations are not quite as extreme. I am, however, planning to drive to Gunnison, CO 5 hrs away with the expectation of seeing the Gunnison Sage Grouse on their lek Tuesday morning. And, I’m hoping to visit Pawnee National Grasslands, as well. 

In the meantime, we landed in Denver at 5:40 pm, picked up our car, drove to Westminster, and looked for something to eat. We stopped to pick up some meds at Walmart, and on the way out, saw a Black-billed Magpie. It was already getting dark, so I didn’t try to chase it. We instead went to Ted’s Montana Bar and Grill and got a quick bite to eat before calling it a night. Robin has class tomorrow and I’m driving all day.

No comments:

Blog Archive