Friday, May 12, 2017

Naked Birding in the Bahamas - 01-06 May 2017

Robin and I spent the week on Nassau in the Bahamas. We visited the Sivananda Oshram Yoga Retreat and spent the week meditating and learning yoga. As part of the Essentials of Yoga schedule our days started early: Meditation at 6 am, Yoga at 8 am, Breakfast at 10 am, Workshop at noon, Yoga at 4 pm, Dinner at 6 pm, and Meditation at 8 pm. As such, there wasn't much opportunity for chasing birds and photography.

And, that was ok. Our week was relaxing. We had a cabin on the beach with a balcony overlooking the ocean. I decided that the cameras, digiscoping equipment, scope and even binoculars would stay in my backpack, and I'd just enjoy chasing birds with eyes-only (naked birding).

I had gorgeous looks at Red-legged Thrush, Bahama Mockingbirds, Loggerhead Kingbirds, Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Green Herons, Bananaquits, and Osprey. Only a few warblers eluded me, and that was due to backlighting and lack of binoculars.

My highlight bird was a lovely White-crowned Pigeon that landed in the tree next to the balcony.

I wish I had a camera...

No comments:

Blog Archive